Today is #GivingTuesday It is all about giving back to those in need, supporting your favorite charities and helping others out. Giving back is a great way to promote happiness and inspire others. However, not everyone is in a position to make a monetary donation to their charity of choice but this doesn’t mean that you can’t give back. Below are a few great ways that you can give back for FREE on this #GivingTuesday, or any day of the year.
Six Free #GivingTuesday Ideas:
- Use your time: Time is valuable. In fact, charities are always looking for volunteers of all types. Look into local opportunities and offer them a few hours of your services. You don’t have to have any special skills to volunteer. Soup kitchens, thrift stores, hospitals, libraries, and shelters are always looking for an extra set of hands and will provide training. If you do happen to have a special skillset there may be ways to utilize that to help others in need.
- Use your technology: Thanks to advances in technology, you do not even have to leave the house to volunteer or give to charity. There are numerous sites and apps available that allow you to get involved without getting off the couch. Free Rice, is a great little vocabulary game that provides 10 grains of rice through the World Food program for each correct answer. That rice adds up quick and you can play as long as you want. It’s a great way to pass time when you are bored, even if only for a few moments.
Other options include click sites, such as The Hunger Site, The Breast Cancer Site, and Care2 (to name a few) There is a more in-depth list available Here
- Use your stuff: A really easy way to help out those in need is by donating goods. Have an overfilled closet? Why not fill a box and drop it off at the local thrift shop? or call up your local shelter and see if they need clothing donations? Charities often survive off donations of clothing, furniture, and household items. They either use these within their organization, donate them to people in need, or sell them to bigger thrift shops to help fund their cause. Some charities will even pick items up from your home. Alternatively, you can place them online for free through sites like Craigslist or Kijiji and help others out that way. This is a win/win situation… You clear the clutter and charities benefit.
- Use your voice: If you want to give back this #GivingTuesday you can always use your voice. Sharing posts on Facebook that support your charity of choice, starting or signing petitions, and getting the word out are great ways to help out. Charities and non-profit organizations rely on word of mouth for their advertising, sharing their message is a simple way to raise awareness and help fight their cause.
- Use your blood: If you want to make a difference and truly give back this #GivingTuesday then you should consider donating blood. Blood donation helps so many people in so many different ways. It is one act that is guaranteed to make a difference. There is a constant need for regular blood supply because blood can only be stored for a short time. Victims of trauma, women who have given birth, children and those having surgery all rely on blood donations to survive. There are also those who require regular blood transfusions as well. Blood truly is the most precious gift you can give – it is the gift of life. For more information, you can view The World Health Organizations (WHO) website. Giving blood is a simple act that can make a world of difference.
- Use your Smile: No matter what day it is… #GivingTuesday or any other day of the year… The easiest way to give back to the community is to share a smile. In a world where everyone is rushed, stressed, and facing challenges a smile can have a huge impact. Bad days have been brightened by simple smiles and kind words. You do not need to spend a penny to make others feel loved, you simply need to share a smile.