We’ve all accumulated a lengthy list of life lessons,most of which have come from our mothers, grandmothers, mentors and friends. These include such useful lessons as; always wear clean underwear, don’t mix beer and liquor, respect your elders, a happy wife equals a happy life, and chicken is cooked when it’s not pink inside. Although these lessons may come in handy at some point (especially the one about mixing beer and liquor) they are probably not going to make you a happier person or help you to create greater satisfaction with your life.
The truth is, despite mama’s little life lessons, there is no manual and we are all pretty much winging it. We go through life doing the best we can with what we are given and we try to keep our heads above water.
We all want to be happier. Yet, we often don’t know where to start or we make things more complicated then they need to be. Usually, it is a matter of not knowing what to do that will make us happier. Thankfully, happiness is comprised of many different things and is acquired and maintained over time. This is good because it means that there are numerous options available if you want to be happier.
Creating a happier, more fulfilling life doesn’t have to be difficult.
All you have to do is take action.
Actions don’t need to be big ones.
Sometimes it is the small changes that make the biggest difference in our overall well-being.
Below are some little life lessons you can act on today that will help you to live a happier life. The results can be almost instant. When you set your mind to being happier, happier is what you will be. It is that simple.
Little Life Lessons That Will Make You Happier
- If you can find a way to do what you love, life will be a lot more fun and a lot less stressful. Even if you can’t do it full-time, find a way to do it some of the time.
- More often than not we live to regret the things we didn’t do, so take risks and do those things that make you happiest or that feel right. Right now!
- Stop trying to impress other people, especially by being someone you are not. In the end, either the true you will come out or you will lose yourself. You can not please everyone, so focus on pleasing yourself instead.
- A smile is one of the easiest ways to have an impact on the world. It takes little to no effort on your part and it can have a huge impact on other people. Smiles are contagious, spread them to everyone.
- You always have a choice. You may not always like the choices you have but they are there. Choices give you freedom and control at times when you may feel you have none.
- No one can make you feel anything you don’t want to feel. You are the keeper of your emotions, you choose the way you feel. Don’t allow anyone to bring you down or break you down. When dealing with a difficult person ask yourself this: There are billions of people in the world, why are you going to let one person ruin your day?
- The less concerned you are with what other people think of you, the more you actually enjoy life.
- Family does not have to be blood. Family is a feeling, an emotion, a connection. It is who you choose and what you make it. Family can be your biggest support, however, they can also be your worst downfall. If your family makes you feel bad, you have the right to break ties.
- Anger and Hate are useless. These emotions do not affect the person at which they are directed. In fact, 9 time out of 10 the only person they actually harm is you! Learn to forgive those who have hurt you and open your heart to less pain and more love.
- The more you learn about yourself, the better able you will be to understand others. The happier you are with yourself, the happier you will make others. The more you enjoy yourself, the more enjoyable life will become. You must be the change you hope to see in the world. You are the key to the life you long for.
- You don’t have to believe in God, but have faith in something, even if it is faith in yourself. Find something to believe in and trust in that choice. Let your faith guide you.
- Learn to accept change. It is the one thing in life that is constant.
- Learn to see life through other people’s eyes. When you learn to imagine life from another persons perspective you often begin to see the world in a whole new way. Chances are you will treat others differently when you consider how they feel. This simple skill can be life changing.
- Never stop learning. Knowledge is more powerful than money and it will make you happier in the long run.
- Even in failure there is success. Take risks and learn lessons from each mistake. When you fail get up and try again.
- Every person you meet has some thing they can teach you, you only need to open your mind and accept the lesson.
- Don’t be afraid to love because you might get hurt, be afraid you might get hurt because you don’t love. Love is a powerful emotion and can teach us some of the most valuable lessons in life.
- Don’t measure your wealth by your bank account, measure it by all the blessings you have that money can’t buy.
- When you expect more, either from yourself or from others, you will receive more.
- Spend less time worrying about the things you can’t control and more time enjoying those things which you can.
- Avoid letting what others think of you, or what happened in the past, define who you are today or who you become tomorrow.
- If you have never been sad, bored, angry or lonely, you will never be happy, have fun, feel love, or truly be with someone else.
- The minute high-school ends it will not matter who was most popular, who was homecoming queen or who was a geek. The real world is far more realistic than the superficial standards set inside the confines of the classroom. Aspire to be the best ‘you’ and you will succeed in the end, no matter your place in the social school ladder.
- Life is a reflection of your thoughts, so make sure they are the best thoughts possible.
- Relax. No one else knows what they are doing either.
(This post was originally posted Oct 9,2012 on Inspired Every Moment – which has now merged with this site)