Originally posted on Inspired Every Moment, which has now merged with this site.
Sometimes you have to let go of things to allow new, more useful things, into your life. Letting go can be difficult but it can also be very positive and rewarding. Here are a few things you MUST let go of if you truly hope to live a happy and positive life…
Let Go Of…
- Guilt: Does guilt ever change the situation? Can it reverse time and change the past? The answer is NO! Guilt has no use what-so-ever. Let it go and get on with living. Take whatever it is that is making you feel guilty and use it as a lesson and motivation.
- Negative Thinking: Negative thinking is one of the worst things you can do to yourself. One negative thought leads to another, which leads to a snowball effect that you can’t control. Pay close attention to your thoughts by noticing your feelings, if you are thinking something that is potentially negative turn it around immediately and replace it with something positive. This simple act will make a world of difference.
- Need for Approval: Stop trying to get approval from others. Accept that you can not please everyone and focus on pleasing yourself. What others think doesn’t matter, your life is about how you feel, accept that and enjoy it.
- Anger/Heartbreak: Everyone has suffered at some point. We have all had our hearts broken or been hurt in the past. Holding grudges and being bitter does not change the past, but it can impact your future and can even prevent happiness from entering your life. Let it go and allow yourself to move forward. Again, let the past be your lesson and use it as motivation for the future.
- Fake Friends: Having 438 friends on Facebook does not mean you have 438 friends. Chances are you have a few people online and in your life that are not ‘real’ friends, or that don’t really add to your life in any way. Break the negative connection and let these people go, true friends are hard to find but they add substance to our lives and they are always there when we need them. You can, of course, keep a connection with acquaintances but be sure you know the difference between an acquaintance and a true friend.
- Procrastination: Stop procrastinating, just stop. If there is something that needs to be done, just do it. Period. Procrastination is a bad habit and the longer you practice it the harder the habit is to break.
- Envy: Envy is another one of those things that gets you nowhere. Why aspire to be someone else when your life is perfect just the way it is? Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses and be happy with the way things are.Chances are that if you stop and think you have plenty to be grateful for right in front of you.
- Self-Doubt: A negative self-image can have a huge impact on your well-being. Let go of your self-doubt and embrace self-love instead. Forget the ten pounds you think you need to lose, look past the flaws you see in yourself, and stop thinking you are not good enough. You are what you create in your mind, so point out 10 fantastic things about yourself right now and start sharing those great things with others. The more you love yourself, the more others will appreciate and love you as well.
- Limitations: “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right. – Henry Ford” Stop putting limitations on yourself and reach for the sky. You are the only thing holding you back from accomplishing your goals.
- Time: Stop watching the clock. In today’s modern world everything we do revolves around time. Time for work, time for dinner, time for meetings, calls, to go… Outside of work let go of the time restraints and simply do what feels right for you. Stop living life by the minute and start living in the moment.